So, I thought it was time for this little post, which has been brewing for a while-
Welcome to nailpolish confessions!
1) Yellows scare the crap out of me. There are some beautiful ones out there, but out of a collection of about 500/600-ish? polishes (I don't really want to know the number!), I can count my yellows on one hand easily: China Glaze- Lemon Fizz, Color Club- Daisy Does It, and China Glaze- Trendsetter if you want to count that. I have very light, pinkish, cool-toned skin, and yellows are just generally unflattering. I love the way they look against dark skin, though.
2) I don't "clean-up" with a small brush and acetone like you're "supposed" to. My cuticles are dry enough as it is (between my job and guitar playing), and it's a constant battle to keep them hydrated enough for up-close-and-personal photos.
I just try to paint neatly in the first place, and basically follow this technique:
(Photo Credit: Lacquerized.com)
Starting below the cuticle and then pushing the polish upwards (step 4) is really key for me; it helps create that neat-looking arc, and really steadies the hand. I also make sure to rest my wrist on my worksurface. And, of course, practice is key!
Sometimes I will use a correcter pen, like the one Sally Hansen makes, if there is some egregious mistake, but that is usually underneath the nail, especially as a result of wrapping the tips, when my nails are shorter.
3) I'm a packaging snob. I can't help it- I just like good design, and crappy packaging can turn me off of even really pretty colors. A lot of times this happens with indies, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I don't want polishes with labels that look like they were printed by a 1995 inkjet, and then glued on at your grandma's house- especially if I'm paying upwards of $10 for them!
A commercial big offender for me is the Nicole by OPI packaging. The bottle is horrible- you turn it to the side and suddenly:
4) Having just one of any brand makes my eye twitch! Call it OCD, but I feel like a single polish of any one brand gets lonely. And, it's hard to get a sense of a brand with just one polish. This neurosis also works as a sort of polish-buying chastity belt; I'll refrain from venturing into the unknown territory of new (to me) brands for a long, long time, if I don't already own some of said brand. Does it make sense? Not in the least!
5) Nail Clippers! I totally use them if I need to take down significant length, and not just shape/refine. I know you aren't supposed to use them, but ever since I began using nail strengtheners and taking Biotin, my nails seem to handle clipping pretty well, and I just don't have the patience to sit there with a file for two hours.
So- what are your nail care/ polish confessions? Any weird habits or tricks out there?
Let me know!